Monday 7 September 2009

For this post I will be carrying out research on who listens to different genres of music.

First thing I did was to create a questionnaire to ask 10 or more people about their music tastes.

This questionnaire will have to ask what type of music the person listens to, it will then have to ask how long they have been listening to this type of music. I will then show them 3 artists within their chosen genre so that they can pick who they like the most. My questionnaire must also ask about music videos and what they think work.

1. What type of music do you most enjoy?
a) Hip Hop
b) Rock

2. How long have you been listening to this type of music?
a) Sub 2 years
b) 2 – 5 years
c) 6 – 10 years
d) 11 – 20 years
e) 21 – 30 years
f) 30 + years.

If the answer to question 1 was Hip Hop please answer here.
3. Which of these 3 is your favourite artist?
a) Run-D.M.C
b) Public Enemy
c) 2 Pac

If the answer to question 1 was Rock please answer here.
3. Which of these 3 is your favourite artist?
a) The Beatles
b) Elvis Presley
c) James Brown

4. What do you like to see in a music video?
a) A band or group of people performing how they would if they were at a live show.
b) A band or group of people performing a pre practiced choreographed show.
c) One or two singers singing to the camera while the background changes.

The results

Here are the results I received from asking 20 people my questionnaire, I chose to ask 20 people as it’s enough people to give me a broad idea of what kind of music video people enjoy without it being too much hassle to ask that amount of people. In order to do this questionnaire I asked my family members and close friends the quiz but I also emailed around 10 people and got replies from them all.



From these results I can see that it was a good choice choosing to make a music video for the hip hop genre as out of 20 people 11 people chose hip hop where as only 9 people chose rock.
I also found out that more people prefer Public Enemy over Run DMC and 2 Pac, this is good as i liked Public Enemies style of music video for "Harder than you think" (I did an analysis on this video) and my music video is going to be of a similar style.
My questionnaire also showed me that people who enjoy hip hop and rock don’t appreciate choreographed performances, as I suspected this is more for the pop genre. Instead they enjoy either a live performance or just one or two people singing in front of the camera, like in a lot of hip hop videos. For this reason my video is going to be just one or two people acting in front of a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment